LUCID 2-Inch Foam Mattress Topper Review
To make your existing sleep surface more comfortable, you have a variety of good mattress topper options ranging in price from very cheap to pretty expensive. One good topper with a great price point is the Lucid 2-Inch Foam Mattress Topper. This open cell foam cushion helps support your neck and shoulders, the frequent sore spots from inadequate mattresses. Unlike many mattress enhancers available on the market, this foam topper allows for air circulation. No more night sweating from closed cell foam or latex.View on Amazon
Light weight and easy to roll up and take with you, the Lucid 2-Inch Foam Mattress Topper can be used in places other than just your bed at home. It provides a great way to sleep better in your RV or on the ground in a sleeping bag. Plus, it is an economical way to add comfort to a dorm bed or even the firm beds commonly found in hotels.
- Two inches of cushioning foam
- Open cell foam that permits air circulation
- Naturally hypoallergenic, non-latex foam
- Environmentally safe low-VOC (volatile organic compounds)
- Cut to be one inch short of your mattress size so it fits under your existing sheets
- Three-year warranty
Best Things About It
- You get two more inches of cushion for a too-firm bed.
- Relieves pressure points and supports the spine.
- There’s nothing to sneeze at because it contains no properties that can trigger an allergic reaction.
- You stay cool because the open cell foam permits body heat to dissipate and air to flow throughout.
- It’s portable so it needn’t be a fixture on one bed alone, but can be taken with you on camping or other road trips.
- The topper is CertiPUR® certified, which means it has been verified to contain no formaldehyde, phthalates, CFCs, mercury, PBDEs, lead or heavy metals. It poses no threat to the environment or you.
- Three year warranty because even great products can have a bad run once in a while.
The Not So Great Parts
- It tends to yellow with use, although this is only a cosmetic condition and doesn’t impede the function of the topper.
- Two inches can be a bit thin if the mattress is very firm. A stiffer mat is probably better for camping out doors as you get older.
- It can move around on the mattress and develop air pockets underneath which makes straightening the bed in the morning a slightly larger chore.
- It requires a couple of days to lose its factory odor, but since you need to air it for expansion anyway, this poses only a small problem.
- It doesn’t come in a zippered cover that would better help it stay flat.
- People whose mattress is a bit too firm.
- People who have RVs or like to go camping in tents.
- People with chemical sensitivities.
- People who aren’t ready to purchase a better bed yet.
- Guest beds.
- Sofa pull-out beds.
- People who make frequent road trips and stay in economy hotels.
Not Recommended For
- People who have serious back problems and need a much denser type of support.
- Beds that are excessively firm or broken down and rutted.
The Lucid 2-Inch Foam Mattress Topper is a good in-between cushion where you desire a firm bed but not a rock-hard one. For those who have injured backs or are very sensitive to the usual pressure points on their hips and shoulders, this topper is a little too thin and light if the mattress itself is considerably too hard. They may prefer to invest in a whole memory foam or latex mattress instead. But when your bed is almost right for you but either a little old and compressed or simply needs a little more cushion to top it off, this foam topper is great. The open cell foam structure is both sturdy and breathable so you don’t overheat at night but still have enough fluff under you to prevent aches and pains in your hips, back, shoulders and neck. While it may initially seem like you could buy an open cell foam topper for a lot less at a discount store, ultimately, they will not compare the the Lucid topper which is heavier and more solid than the egg carton style pad you can purchase for cheap.View on Amazon
Also, the Lucid 2-Inch Foam Mattress Topper is perfect for those who react to the harsh petrochemicals in memory foam and, to a lesser extent, some latex foams. Also, the fact that the product has been independently tested and shown to be friendly, or at least not harmful, to the environment adds to its value. We can see this topper becoming popular with students living in dorm rooms with sparse amenities and mattresses long overdue for a change. Additionally, because guest beds tend to be the older or lower quality mattresses in the home, they could probably stand an extra layer of cushioning. The same holds for futon beds and sofa pull out mattresses which are thin by necessity.